Tuesday, November 4, 2008

And so, all that's left is the final counting. Obama has won. I liked his speech, especially that he was not using words like mandate. In fact, I've only heard one pundit type use that word at all, for which I'm very thankful. It seems that Obama may govern from the same centrist point that he started the campaign on. I'm so proud of him and of this nation. I haven't felt this hopeful since the Irish started sorting out their troubles, and it looked like Isreal and its neighbors might sort things out themselves.

On the other hand, I'm disappointed that here in California we can't eliminate prejudice and discrimination. I live in the SF bay area and many of my friends are gay and in long standing relationships. Many took the all too brief opportunity to marry. I am truly heartbroken that others feel they shouldn't be free to pursue the same kind of happiness that heteros have. I hope to wake to find that the race, which is tight, has turned around. But I fear it will not.

And so to bed.

No comments: